Vetiver Root Essential Oil
Vetiver root essential oil is distilled from the roots of a perennial grass (Chrysopogon zizanioides) native to India. It is also referred to as khus oil. It has been used in Ayurvedic and herbal remedies to treat a host of conditions for thousands of years. This aromatic herb is also used in cosmetics, perfumes, soaps and shampoos for its sweet, earthy scent and healing properties.
What are the health benefits of vetiver root essential oil?
Vetiver root essential oil is known for its benefits in aromatherapy, as its scent it thought to promote grounding and overall well-being. Its most common health benefits include:
- Fights Inflammation
- Promotes Wound Healing and Reduces Scarring
- Boosts the Immune System
- Regulates Metabolism
- Relieves Insomnia
- Reduces Stress
- Builds Healthy Nerves
- Heals Dry or Cracking Skin
- Relieves Attention Deficit Disorder Symptoms
Is there scientific evidence to support the health benefits of vetiver root essential oil?
Yes. According to a 2013 article published in the Journal of Medicinal Plants Studies, a peer reviewed journal, there is adequate scientific evidence to support the effectiveness of vetiver root against a number of health conditions. It sites the following health benefits of vetiver root.
- Anti-Inflammatory: Vetiver root essential oil fights inflammation both is surface wounds and internal organs.
- Antiseptic: It can be applied to wounds to prevent infection, as it is known to kill Staphylococcus Aureus and other bacteria.
- Aphrodisiac: It can be mixed in drinks to enhance sexual desire. The effect is assumed to be psychological.
- Cicatrisant: Vetiver root oil helps to regenerate new tissues and eliminates the appearance of scars from acne, chicken pox, wounds and even stretch marks.
- Nervine: Vetiver root essential oil works to heal damage done to nerves from shock, fear or stress. It maintains a healthy nervous system.
- Sedative/ Calming: Vetiver root essential oil calms the nerves, reduces stress and promotes relaxation. It also encourages restful sleep.
- Tonic: As a tonic, vetiver root essential oil boosts immunity, helps regulate your metabolism and builds overall health.
- Vulnerary/Healing: It promotes wound healing by inhibiting the growth of microbes and regenerating new skin tissue.
Vetiver root essential oil is often combined with other ingredients to make skin lotions or creams designed to keep the skin soft and pliable and reduce the signs of aging. It also works to prevent problems with acne and to speed healing of minor skin irritations. It can also be used to reduce stretch marks or reduce the appearance of scars and skin imperfections. Vetiver root essential oil is safe to use, but if you have a medical condition, are under the care of a physician or are currently take prescription medication or use a medicated lotion, check with your doctor before using vetiver root oil.