Pink Grapefruit Peel Essential Oil
Pink grapefruit peel essential oil (Citrus paradisi) is extracted from the peel of the grapefruit via compression. The resulting oil is highly concentrated and has a uplifting citrus scent. This essential oil is used as a fragrance in cosmetics and cleaning supplies, for aromatherapy, and medicinally to treat a host of physical and mental conditions.
What are the Health Benefits of Grapefruit Peel Essential Oil?
- Antioxidants: Grapefruit peel essential oil is high in antioxidants, particularly Vitamin C. Antioxidants help your immune system function properly and combat free radicals and toxins in the body. This in turn slows the signs of aging, such as mental and physical slowness, degeneration of bodily tissues, and vision or hearing problems.
- Fights Infection: Grapefruit peel
essential oil also contains antiviral, antimicrobial and antiseptic properties that help your body fight off infections. This includes internal infections as well as skin infections. It is good for applying to wounds, cuts and abrasions to promote healing.
- Tones and Cleans Skin: Grapefruit peel oil is effective against oily skin and acne. Not only does it prevent infection, it cuts oils and leaves your face and skin clean and refreshed.
- Elevates Mood: When inhaled, grapefruit peel oil is thought to lift the spirit and promote positive thoughts. It may relieve depression and improve your state of mind.
History of Grapefruit Peel Essential Oil Use
Grapefruit peel essential oil has been used historically to treat a wide range of conditions. It may be included in skin care products and lotions for topical application, or used in oil burners or diffusers to take advantage of its invigorating fragrance. It may also be taken internally, but always check that your oil is safe for human consumption. Some common uses are:
- Cleans and tones skin
- Treats acne
- Relieves muscle fatigue
- Treats cuts and abrasions
- Promotes hair growth
- Relieves headaches
- Treats colds, coughs and lung problems
- Suppresses the appetite
- Relieves depression and anxiety
- Lowers cholesterol
- Promotes weight loss
- Improves overall well being
According to WebMD, there is not enough evidence available to support the effect of grapefruit peel oil on these conditions. They are based on anecdotal evidence only, and further research is needed to verify the claims.
Some scientific evidence of the effectiveness of grapefruit oil does exist.
- Appetite Suppression: A 2005 study conducted at Osaka University in Japan concluded that olfactory stimulation with grapefruit essential oil suppressed
gastric nerve activity in rats, which in turn worked as an appetite suppressant.
- Antiseptic & Antimicrobial Effects: A 2009 study conducted at the University of Kiel in Germany concluded that grapefruit essential oil was an effective antiseptic against hospital bacteria, including antibiotic-resistant strains of MRSA.
- Stress and Anxiety Reduction: In an article published by Prevention, the lead coordinator for the Complementary and Integrative Medicine Program at the Mayo Clinic, Barbara Thomley, shared her experience with using citrus scents in aromatherapy. Thomley claims that citrus scented
essential oils tend to curb the appetite, ease digestion and reduce both anxiety and stress. She speaks from experience only and has not conducted scientific studies to confirm her observations.
If you are pregnant or nursing, talk to your doctor before adding pink grapefruit peel essential oil to your diet or beauty routine. Likewise, if you are currently taking prescription medication or are under a doctor’s treatment for a medical or psychological condition, check with your doctor before adding pink grapefruit peel essential oil to your daily regime.