Organic Rose Water
Rose water (rose hydrosol) is a natural by-product of rose essential oil. When flower petals of the rose (Rosa damascena) are steam distilled to remove the rose essential oils, the remaining water is used as rose water. This water contains between 10 and 50 percent rose oil and provides many healing properties. It has been used in ceremonies and religious rituals since ancient times, but is best known for its effects on the skin.
What are the health benefits of organic rose water?
Rose water is often included in lotions and cosmetics to treat the skin and is thought to promote healthy, radiant skin. But there are other health benefits attributed to rose water. The most common health benefits are:
- Facial Cleanser – Rose water is used in facial cleansers to add subtle fragrance and cleanse the skin.
- Skin Toner – Rose water tightens the skin and reduces pores.
- Treats Skin Problems – Rose water is thought to balance the skin’s pH, control sebum production and to fight infections, making it suitable to treat acne, dry skin and dermatitis.
- Flavors and Scents Foods – Rose water is often used in Persian cuisine to flavor and scent sweet desserts, like ice cream and scones. It may also be used in rice dishes. It is also sometimes used in Indian curry recipes.
- Treat PMS – When consumed, rose water is thought to balance female hormones and reduce cramps and other symptoms associated with PMS.
- Relieve Menopause Symptoms – Rose water is thought to reduce hot flashes and night sweats and other symptoms related to menopause.
- Eases Digestion – Rose water may be used to treat digestive orders such as gas and nausea.
- Relieves Sore Throats & Toothaches – When used as a gargle rose water is thought to ease the pain and promote the healing of sore throats and toothaches.
Is there any scientific evidence of the health benefits of rose water?
In 2011, a group of professors from the University of Marshad in Iran compiled a collection of research studies on Rosa damascena, the rose used to make rose water. While some studies involved the use of either rose essential oil or rose water, the health benefits are attributed to both. According to the research, rose water has the following health benefits.
- Reduces Anxiety
- Relieves Depression
- Alleviates Headaches
- Promotes Nerve Growth
- Relieves Pain
- Prevents or Lessens Convulsions
- Relieves Coughs
- Works as a Bronchodilator to Ease Coughs
- Promotes Skin Health
How is organic rose water used?
Organic rose water can be used topically or added to skin and hair care products to promote healthy skin and hair. It is also used in aromatherapy to promote relaxation, reduce the effects of stress and to relieve symptoms of depression. Taken internally, it relieves symptoms of PMS, menopause, indigestion and other medical conditions. Some cultures sprinkle rose water at wedding ceremonies to symbolize a life of love and happiness, while others use it in funeral services to calm the grieving.