Benzoin Resin Extract
Benzoin Resin Extract (Styrax benzoin) is balsamic resin extracted from several trees in the styrax genus. It is used in cosmetics, as a food preservative and to fragrance incense and other aromatherapy products. The extract is commonly sold as a thick, aromatic oil with a vanilla scent. It may be brown or golden colored. Benzoin resin extract is used pharmaceutically to make skin care products, expectorants and other oral medications to relieve a host of conditions such as irritations of the throat and airways, laryngitis and croup. It is often used in wound treatments to speed healing.
Benzoin Resin Extract and Skin Care
As a topical treatment in skin care products, benzoin resin extract offers a host of benefits. Some of the most common are:
- Relieves Eczema, Rashes and Skin Irritations: According to the University of Maryland Medical Center, benzoin resin extract has been found effective as a massage oil for babies with eczema. It relieves the dry, scaly skin associated with eczema. It was applied to dry skin only and was not applied to open or seeping skin.
- Soothes Bedsores, Skin Ulcers and Cracked Skin: WebMD says that benzoin resin extract has been used to treat bedsores, skin ulcers and cracked skin. It further explains that when benzoin resin extract is used as a topical treatment it is typically combined with other herbs to create a “compound benzoin tincture” .
- Protects Skin: WebMd also lists benzoin resin extract as a skin protectant. It may prevent dry or irritated skin from developing.
- Anti-inflammatory Action: Benzoin resin extract works to treat skin conditions such as measles, pox and other rashes through its anti-inflammatory properties.
- Antibacterial and Anti-fungal Action : According to an article (Aromatherapy: Benzoin) by Kathy Keville, director of the American Herb Association, benzoin resin extract has both antibacterial and anti-fungal properties.
- Improves Skin Elasticity: Keville further states that benzoin resin extracts also improves skin elasticity. Maintaining skin elasticity is vital to slowing the aging process.
Are There Any Side Effects from Benzoin Resin Extract?
According to WebMd, benzoin resin extract generally does not cause side effects. Allergic reactions typically cause a rash, but this is not common. Women who are pregnant or nursing should avoid the use of benzoin resin extract as there is not enough evidence to support its safety. Talk to your doctor if you experience side effects you think are related to benzoin resin extract.
How is Benzoin Resin Extract Used?
Benzoin resin extract is typically mixed with other natural ingredients to make lotions or topical treatments for the skin. It is applied to dry or irritated skin either as part of routine skin care or to treat specific ailments.
Look for products labeled as “all-natural” or “organic” when purchasing skin care products. Always purchase your products from a reputable supplier who you trust.